Thursday, January 1, 2009

dont mess with texas

Even thought I thought Tennessee was a long state, we've been in Texas for almost 4 days and we still have almost 4 hours of driving before were out of this place, blech. Austin is awesome, the only worthwhile place in Texas. We had a great time new years eve with good friends and lots of champagne and amazing food (and bubbles, liz is reminding me). To show my ignorance, I didnt know Austin was the capitol until we were in downtown, looking at the capitol building, drinking at the politicians bar (which serves only liquor, and has a sever lack of any type of lighting), that it dawned on me---(even though I kept the question to myself), this must be the capitol city of this cocky state. I meant to take a picture of the sign that said Austin City Limits, but instead ended up drinking a lonestar beer with a statue of Stevie Ray (I did get a pic of that which I promise to post). On our first evening there we ate at this crazy awesome chili place in downtown (dont get the triple X, unless you want to burn), which happened to be featured in the Quinton Tarentino film Deathproof (it did look vaguely familiar), and then we stopped in the Cloak Room (see above reference to politician bar) and promptly passed out. New Years Eve started with amazing coffee, some crazy BBQ place for lunch (yes it does exist outside of NC people, and it is done rather well in Texas), had some espresso, and commenced with the new years celebration of amazing food, a little too much champagne, and meandering in the town. Got a late start to todays drive, but I blame that on not really wanting to leave Austin or say goodbye to Rob and Jenee. They are really awesome people and we miss them, but were super excited about their new coffee shop (it is slowly coming together-a little too slow for them), but we will hopefully visit sometime soon-its called Once Over Coffee Shop, in case youre ever in austin. The drive today was long, Liz wanted to say something, but she's fast asleep.

much love.
cheers to 2009.
rob

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I remember Texas. When someone says something is just down the road a little piece, make sure you have a full tank of gas. Love, Ran

    ReplyDelete