Sunday, February 15, 2009

Liz Reads a Lot of Books and Robert eats a lot of Macaroni






Valentine's Day was a blast. Which is not to say that I don't miss the Valentine's Days I have spent carving heart shaped cookies into funny, grotesque pieces in random parking lots with David Hughes. Ahh the joy of stabbing absurd heart cookies with pink frosting- most often with large knives better suited for chopping large melons. Heh. It is a lot of fun to hate Valentine's Day. Just like it's a lot more fun to write (and read) a terrible restaurant review. But alas, V Day was great this year. Brilliant holiday. Not just for 3rd graders and disgusting chalky heart candy that has the nerve to boss you around.

We began the day at the Cabrillo College Saturday farmer's market- very quickly becoming my favorite place to be in the whole world! Nowhere else can you buy an orchid for $8-- in full bloom that comes up to my shoulder (I'm short- but the plant is still prolly 4' tall people) Organic locally grown broccoli is $1 a head, the eggs have brown shells and bright gold yolks, meyer lemons 5 for $1, apples are about 50 cents, rainbow chard is $1.50. . .I could go on but I don't want to depress anyone who hasn't got the luxury of going to the Cabrillo College Saturday farmer's market. It's jammin.

Then we went to look at a room in a house way far up in the mountains- it looked beautiful online. No deal. Bad energy and crazy old guy. Not to mention a driveway that I would NEVER be able to navigate with my poor manual transmission driving skills.

We got back to town for Robert's Valentine's Day extravaganza. Which included two massages that almost killed us (in a baaad way- CA has no licensing requirements for massage therapists and it SHOWS... I don't want to spend anymore time being negative about this) And then we sat in the hot tubs at the Japanese spa, sipping on ginger tea which was fun until we had to get out and I thought I was going to pass out. Yikes that low blood pressure will get you. Tina and I should get smelling salts. Do we have any blue blood in our lineage?

Then we ate sushi dinner at "I Love Sushi"- the best sushi restaurant in Santa Cruz so far. I love "I love sushi"! And not just because every time we leave the little Japanese owner waves to us and says "see you tomorrow!" Aaaah, if only we could.

2 comments:

  1. Is that CaliFroggy II? Cloning cars now? Amazing school know how perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad your v day was nice. mine included extremely busy beauty parade experience and then a surprise visit to grandma's around 5:30 because sandy and girl and katie were there, but then i got fanageled into putting grandma to bed which in turn provided a intriguing and horrifying glimpse into what it means to get old. then i went home and joe had kindly made dinner (a little overcooked, but it's the thought) and then we got to have another altercation upon which i decided to go to bed. Next year better be the shit.

    ReplyDelete